remember kids, "LEO the lion says GER"
Losing Electrons = Oxidation
Gaining Electrons = Reduction
shoutout to Mr. Eicher, who taught me this in high school; the notes this post has accumulated are an extension of his life’s work
My high school chemistry teacher, Dr. Cindy “Doc” Maris, taught me this. It was only after high school that I realized that while not all my favorite teachers taught science, many of them did, and the rest of my science teachers were still more memorable than average. Perhaps it’s got something to do with individual motivation being less financial on average because it’s easier to make money elsewhere with a STEM degree.
Edit: Or maybe I just connected with the subjects more and the teacher preferences followed.
Richard Linklater is the lovechild of Owen Wilson and Trey Parker.
"Public schools sit at the nexus of several cognitive dissonance storms:
- What you wish your kid was, versus what he actually is.
- The desire for an 8-hour babysitter, versus the desire for your kids to be educated.
- The desire for justice for other peoples’ kids (if you fail, you fail) versus the desire for advantages for your own children (he needs straight As to get in to a good college).
- Parental guilt over not homeschooling their kids like that one lady at church
- The professed desire for religious freedom versus the real desire to force everyone else to think like you do.
So, teachers and administrators have a hopeless job, spending day after day managing other peoples’ cognitive dissonance. The result is a screwed up system that tries to be both A and not-A at the [s]ame time."